Current:Home > ContactStarbucks workers plan a 3-day walkout at 100 U.S. stores in a unionization effort -Capitatum
Starbucks workers plan a 3-day walkout at 100 U.S. stores in a unionization effort
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 09:18:37
Starbucks workers around the U.S. are planning a three-day strike starting Friday as part of their effort to unionize the coffee chain's stores.
More than 1,000 baristas at 100 stores are planning to walk out, according to Starbucks Workers United, the labor group organizing the effort. The strike will be the longest in the year-old unionization campaign.
This is the second major strike in a month by Starbucks' U.S. workers. On Nov. 17, workers at 110 Starbucks stores held a one-day walkout. That effort coincided with Starbucks' annual Red Cup Day, when the company gives reusable cups to customers who order a holiday drink.
More than 264 of Starbucks' 9,000 company-run U.S. stores have voted to unionize since late last year.
Starbucks opposes the unionization effort, saying the company functions better when it works directly with employees. But the company said last month that it respects employees' lawful right to protest.
Tori Tambellini, a former Starbucks shift supervisor and union organizer who was fired in July, said she will be picketing in Pittsburgh this weekend. Tambellini said workers are protesting understaffed stores, poor management and what she calls Starbucks' "scorched earth method of union busting," including closing stores that have unionized.
Workers United noted that Starbucks recently closed the first store to unionize in Seattle, the company's hometown. Starbucks has said the store was closed for safety reasons.
Starbucks and the union have begun contract talks in about 50 stores but no agreements have been reached.
The process has been contentious. According to the National Labor Relations Board, Workers United has filed at least 446 unfair labor practice charges against Starbucks since late last year, including that the company fired labor organizers and refused to bargain. The company, meanwhile, has filed 47 charges against the union, among them allegations that it defied bargaining rules when it recorded sessions and posted the recordings online.
So far, the labor disputes haven't appeared to dent Starbucks' sales. Starbucks said in November that its revenue rose 3% to a record $8.41 billion in the July-September period.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- TikTok is hit with $368 million fine under Europe’s strict data privacy rules
- Warnock calls on Atlanta officials to be more transparent about ‘Stop Cop City’ referendum
- Big wins for organized labor and progressive causes as California lawmakers wrap for the year
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Who's the murderer in 'A Haunting in Venice?' The biggest changes between the book and movie
- Indiana state senator says he’ll resign, citing `new professional endeavors’
- US military orders new interviews on the deadly 2021 Afghan airport attack as criticism persists
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- 90 Day Fiancé's Yara Zaya Breaks Down in Tears Over Her Body Insecurities
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Baby dies at day care in New York City, 3 other children hospitalized
- Stefon Diggs says it was 'very hurtful' to hear Buffalo Bills reporter's hot mic comments
- Yankees reliever Anthony Misiewicz hit in head by line drive in scary scene vs. Pirates
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Who's the murderer in 'A Haunting in Venice?' The biggest changes between the book and movie
- IMF warns Lebanon that the country is still facing enormous challenges, years after a meltdown began
- Josh Duhamel Details Co-Parenting Relationship With Amazing Ex Fergie
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Court sentences main suspects in Belgium’s deadliest peacetime attack to 20-year to life terms
Sofía Vergara Undergoes Dramatic Transformation for First TV Role Since Joe Manganiello Divorce
Huluween and Disney+’s Hallowstream Will Get Every Witch Ready for the Spooky Season With These Premieres
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
3 men found not guilty in Michigan Gov. Whitmer kidnapping plot. Who are they?
2023 Maui Invitational will be moved to Honolulu, keeping tournament in Hawaii
The Taliban have detained 18 staff, including a foreigner, from an Afghanistan-based NGO, it says